About the AMIC
The AMIC is a nonprofit 501c(3) corporation formed for the advancement of science, education, entrepreneurship and innovation. The AMIC works in collaboration with Texas A&M University System components headquartered in Brazos County, Texas, the Bryan-College Station community, and private industry.
The AMIC was originally formed in 2007 as a collaborative program between the Texas A&M System's Office of Technology Commercialization, Texas A&M University, the Texas A&M University Health Science Center and the Research Valley Partnership. In 2014 the collaboration partners formed a standalone organization as a 501c(3) entity with initial support from the Texas Emerging Technology Fund, Texas A&M University, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), the Texas State Energy Conservation Office, the United States Department of Energy and the private sector.
Meet the Team
Our team has decades of experience in new venture creation with multiple industry experience to position your company for success.
James Y. Lancaster
President & CEO
- With an extensive background advising entrepreneurs and early-stage companies, Lancaster has co-founded multiple technology companies in addition to the Innovate family companies. Lancaster currently serves on the boards of Ecolyse and the non-profit BrightMinds Foundation. Prior experience includes bootstrapped, angel investor and venture capital-backed businesses in the Dallas area including positive exits and ongoing growth stage companies.
- Founder of the Innovate family of companies: Innovate CXO Services (formerly Research Valley CXO Services), Innovate Angel Funds (formerly Research Valley Funds) and Innovate BCS Development.
- Founder of the Maroon Fund program, including the member-managed investment fund and the student-led Associate program and course at Texas A&M University.
- Founding General Manager of the Research Valley Innovation Center program that led to the creation of the AMIC.
- Former management consultant with Deloitte Consulting, one of the founders of the Customer Relationship Management practice
- Texas A&M University for Business Analysis & Research - Management Information Systems undergrad, University of Texas at Austin for MBA - Information Systems Management concentration
Clean Energy Program Director
- More than 20 years of experience leading university programs, launching companies, managing and advising funding agencies and serving as a senior adviser to academic and business leaders
- Prior positions include Director of the $500 million Texas Emerging Technology Fund where she also served as Advisory Committee Chair and led the investment review and recommendation of over $50 million in grant funds
- Launched or grew several University programs, including the University of Maryland's Biotechnology Program and Texas State University's Women's Entrepreneurship Program
- Co-founder and Chair of AVINDE a nonprofit women’s business accelerator. Through these programs she has launched or helped founders launch over 40 start-up companies-many of them led by women
- Serves on the national advisory committee for leading venture accelerator, Springboard Enterprises
- Founder of an award-winning bioprocessing startup which was named one of Fortune Magazine's Coolest Companies
Clean Energy Consultant
- Accomplished high-tech entrepreneur and business consultant with over 20 years of experience providing leadership and executive coaching to a variety of organizations and start-ups, with an emerging technology, political, economic, community, or business development focus
- Entrepreneur in Residence for the Research Valley Innovation Center since 2008
- Consultant to Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station, providing coaching and advisory services to faculty seeking to commercialize their research
- Applicant coaching, vetting, and screening consultant for the Aggie Angel Network, a non-profit network of accredited investors whom invest directly into promising early-stage ventures in return for equity
- Formerly served on the College Station City Council, The Research Valley Partnership Board of Directors, the Research Valley Technology Alliance Board, Advisory Council for the Center for New Ventures & Entrepreneurship (CNVE), as General Manager for Texas Aggies in Business, and founder of AgniTEK, a successful IT consulting company
AMIC Board of Directors
Chairman of the Board
Executive Professior at Mays Business School Center for New Ventures & Entrepreneurship, Assistant Director of Startup Aggieland
James “Jim” R. Joyce, PhD
Director of Texas A&M Office of Sponsored Research
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of University Title Company
James Y. Lancaster
President/CEO of AMIC, Founder of Innovate CXO/Funds/Development family of companies
Other Board Members
Associate Vice Chancellor for Commercialization for Texas A&M System Technology Commercialization
Balakrishna Haridas, PhD
Professor of Practice/Head of Entrepreneurship Programs at Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station
Apply to the AMIC
AMIC Member companies extend their networks, gain access to capital, gain speed to market and achieve rapid commercialization.